back to home page
the news of iowa park
features from around iowa park
weddings, anniversaries and more
local obituaries
columns and letters
sports from local athletes
award-winning photos
let us know
ipleader advertising resources
businesses around iowa park
iowa park churches
area groups
get your message to the people
the iowa park area
the town of friendly living
the best of schools
links of interest
iowa park's paper since 1969
the leader staff
give us a shout





Boys with local ties help to save woman

by Kevin Hamilton
Two high school students with local ties happened to be in the right place at the right time during the early morning hours Thursday after celebrating the Fourth of July at Lake Waurika, and their quick response to an accident saved the life of an area woman.

Brady Reams of Iowa Park and Tyler Gay of Nocona (formerly of Iowa Park) had spent Independence Day at the Oklahoma lake, when, during their return home, received a call that one of their friends was in trouble at the Red River.

“One of my friends was at the river throwing artillery shells,” said Brady, who will be a senior this fall at IPHS. “Don’t ask why, we weren’t with him.

“We were coming back from the lake and passing the river, and heard he blew his hand up and it was burned,” he continued. “So we picked him up and ran him to the hospital (United Regional in Wichita Falls). After all that was said and done, we left the hospital. It was around 2 in the morning.”

The boys were driving south on Holliday toward the Kell interchange, when they witnessed an oncoming car on Kell West hop the curb and collide with a pillar under the Falls Flyover.

“You know how you pass McDonald’s under Kell, then take that right curve,” Tyler explained. “We were going around that right curve and she was coming on a different road under the flyover. We just saw her veer off the road and hit it, and the car caught on fire.

“It was pretty crazy.”

Both boys left their pickup and raced to the car, throwing open the driver’s door and pulling the unconscious woman out of the car.

“It took us about 15 seconds to get to her,” said Tyler.

“At first we had her right behind the car, but the flames started getting bigger, so we took her all the way across the street,” Brady added.

After dialing 911, the boys said they propped the now awake but disoriented woman up, and gave her sips from a water bottle.

“The police and firemen came about 12 minutes later,” said Brady. “It seemed like it took forever. She said her chest hurt, and she couldn’t breathe.” He estimated the age of the unidentified woman to be mid-30s.

Once first responders arrived, fire department paramedics treated the woman. “And once they arrived, there were all of a sudden 15 police officers,” said Brady. Neither boy was approached until a news reporter from Newschannel 6 interviewed them.

According to Channel 6, Wichita Falls police reported “... the woman swerved on Kell West to miss something in the road and lost control. The car then crashed into a pillar that supports part of the Falls Flyover and caught fire.”

The woman was reportedly transported to United Regional with non-life threatening injuries.

“Yeah, I guess we were heroes,” laughed Brady. “It was just pretty cool, being able to help her.”

Brady added he has future aspirations to make a career as a firemen or in law enforcement.

Tyler plans to enter the Marines after graduating in 2013.


Copyright 2010,, llc, all rights reserved